WHILE WE ARE ON THE TOPIC OF SEXING ZUCCHINIS....CAN YOU IDENTIFY THESE YELLOW, PHALLIC-SHAPED OBJECTS?

So here they are--the male eunuch zukes to whom these parts formerly belonged no longer have to suffer from castration anxiety:too late for that!



                                              Ant-free zucchini blossoms awaiting their fate

In removing the zucchini genitalia, I was following the advice of most of the instructions turned up by my research:that although the pollen-colored male pistils are not harmful to eat, it is customary to remove them before stuffing.

          Female blossoms pre and post-surgery;closed males in foreground

The bottom line? I learned quite a lot of useful things in my zuke sex-education tutorial:

1. Even though the female blossoms are so much more attractive than the males, to pick a female flower robs its attached baby of the chance to grow big and strong. Now given that overly large zukes can be a curse, at first I could not imagine why to stunt their growth could be a bad thing. But after seeing the result, I have to admit that baby zukes should be left in peace to realize their full potential.

2. Epicurious has some simple, wonderful recipes for what to do with zuke blossoms. To coat them with a light beer and water batter and gently fry them was not at all the messy, intimidating process I feared.

And the Epicurious recipe for stuffing zuke blossoms with any soft cheese mixed with lemon zest and fresh mint was indeed easy and molto delicioso.

3.True confession:I am delighted to admit that I have lost my own fear of zuke blossoms!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHO SAYS THAT LIFE IN THE COUNTRY IS BORING? WHAT’S THAT GIGANTIC CREATURE ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR?🙀

HOW IT ALL STARTED

A HOARDER? MOI?