(NOT) ONLY IN ITALY? GARDEN TOOLS AND GRIEF (Part two)


While appearing to write about garden tools, I’m reminded of a post I wrote years ago: 


REVIVAL (OR, HOW TO MOW LIKE THE QUEEN!) 


Although I was not grieving the loss of a dear one at the time, I think I was anticipating the losses to come. As I re-read this piece, I’m struck by how it is speaking to me now, eight years later when I have lost an old friend. I see that Queen Elizabeth who is featured in this old piece is now well into her ninety-fifth year and is as wrinkle free as my nonagenarian mom was when she died as her ninety-fourth birthday approached. 

 

The last lines of my piece feel prescient: 

When you are the Queen, you can probably carry on longer. Impermanence reigns more easily further down the line.

 

Even so, there are limits.

The Buddhists have got it right:

Remove attachment. 

Everything is going to change.

 

But memory? 

Maybe not.

*

Update with my scary new tool, a 2021 birthday gift from my husband. 

My Finnish friend who is one of the best gardeners I know swears by this tool: “I do everything with it. It’s all I need.“

*

My new tool, a Japanese invention known as a hori-hori, is wonderfully international: recommended by a Finn, made in China, and given to me in Slovenia. Further, for how to use it, I just watched a 3-minute video by a Brit. 


https://youtu.be/P-yCM0iHpyM


I took my hori-hori on its maiden voyage in Italy, and I’m really impressed. My industrial-strength weeds are in for it now!

 

 


I wonder what Farmer G would have thought of my new tool. I’m thinking that it would have amused him. So what if those Japanese have been using it for centuries? It’s no match for a Zappa in the hands of a Master.

 



Here he is, Il Professore del arte della Zappa, as photographed years ago by his granddaughter, making his own Zappa.




A loose translation of granddaughter Veronica's label is "still doing things in the tried-and-true old ways even in the modern age."




 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHO SAYS THAT LIFE IN THE COUNTRY IS BORING? WHAT’S THAT GIGANTIC CREATURE ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR?🙀

HOW IT ALL STARTED

A HOARDER? MOI?