POP QUIZ #1: WHAT FAMOUS AUTHOR SAID THIS? (GET SET FOR SOME SURPRISES)

 




Although I thought I knew well the authors in my Letters to Men of Letters, in the course of writing to them, I have come across many surprising quotes. In subsequent posts, I’ll be mentioning some of them, and I will be interested to see if they ring bells for other readers. I thought it might be fun to do this as a little quiz. 

Here come the first quotes— what famous author said this?

BIG hint: this time, all three quotes are from the same author. 


Choose from this list of some of the Men of Letters to whom I write: 

Franz Kafka

Gustave Flaubert

Honoré de Balzac

 

(Of course you can find the answers in my Letters to Men of Letters)

 


“Writing is a dog’s life but the only life worth living,” and the odorously colorful “Sometimes I think I’m liquefying like an old Camembert.” 

*


“It is splendid to be a great writer, to put men into the frying pan of your words and make them pop like chestnuts….For better or worse it is a delicious thing to write, to be no longer yourself, but to move in an entire universe of your own creating.”

*


“If you participate actively in life, you don’t see it clearly: You suffer from it too much or enjoy it too much...The artist must be a freak of nature, an oddity outside ordinary life, a monster of sorts...So, I am resigned to living as I have lived: Alone, with my throng of great men as my only cronies..., with my bear rug as company.”

 


***The answer will appear in the next Pop Quiz.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHO SAYS THAT LIFE IN THE COUNTRY IS BORING? WHAT’S THAT GIGANTIC CREATURE ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR?🙀

HOW IT ALL STARTED

A HOARDER? MOI?