WHAT TO DO AFTER DRIVING FROM ORVIETO TO TERONTOLA TO GET YOUR MRI? EAT WELL, OF COURSE!

I would have liked to continue the Ferragosto Holiday in Italy saga by adding  
STEP FIVE:WHAT TO DO AFTER DRIVING FROM ORVIETO TO TERONTOLA TO GET YOUR MRI. But my being a Technodunce has once again gotten in the way of my plan. 

I was also thinking that after not posting anything for so long, it kind of worked out well that the last post I had put up in November 2013 featured photos taken in the Sanitaria Surgical Appliance store where we were renting J's crutches and wheelchair in the wake of last Ferragosto's mishap. Husband J of the pinched nerve, who has no trouble understanding technology, says that EVERYBODY knows that blog chronology works backwards, so that what you see is the most recent, and there's no need to fret about what looks like goofy timing. OK, I'm going to try to set aside my antediluvian sense of proper order and just continue. As I said before in my two favorite languages, AVANTI! EN AVANT! 

Here we go.

 STEP FIVE: SHOWING THE LENGTHS TO WHICH EVEN A HANDICAPPED PERSON WITH BUTTOCKS PUMPED FULL OF PAINKILLERS WILL GO TO MAKE LEMONS OUT OF LEMONADE

So what's going on here? While waiting to get the MRI, J surfed around to find a good place to eat, which can go a long way toward making a pinched nerve more bearable. Now he should have been a little suspicious that the name of this highly acclaimed restaurant in nearby Castiglione del Lago was named Le Scalette, which translates as "Little Staircase." 

Because I am also driving challenged and can only try to point the car in the direction my skillful navigator says (and even at that, it's not always easy to stay on the road), we followed the GPS (which I do not know how to use) to the restaurant. When it said that we had arrived at our destination, it failed to mention the GIANT "scaletta" between us and a great lunch. 

Given the mystery of how far away that lunch might be and that I was the only one of us with working limbs, I was elected to head the search party. There was no point in making that climb only to not find the place, or to find it closed. It was good that I went ahead, because I had to go out of my way and ask two different people before finding it, nicely tucked into what was indeed a steep but "Little Staircase." 

I went back to the BIG staircase and looked down at handicapped hubby to see if he was up to making the climb. It's a tribute to those medicines and J's love of a good meal that he decided to go for it, and it was worth it to have had what he called "the best wild boar dish of his life." Whether you are having an MRI in Terontola or not, DO eat at Le Scalette! 

Was it a coincidence that this historic family trattoria had a prime view of the Casa del Mutilato? We're not exactly sure what that place is all about. After climbing all those stairs because you parked in the wrong place, will you be ready for the House of the Maimed? Well, not in our case. Maybe to eat wild boar even has more curative powers than a butt full of cortisone!





Undaunted man (Sisyphus?) with pinched nerve en route to a great lunch. This was the BIG staircase, not to be confused with the little one that will be the next hurdle. 

After the climb, this staircase was a piece of gateau, which is what you get to have after eating the best wild boar of your life (or in my case, roasted carp fresh from the lake) 

the view of the Casa Del Mutilato from the terrace of Le Scalette 

Full frontal view of the Casa where I don't think we want to reside, even if it is across from a superb restaurant




Whether or not you have a pinched nerve, need an MRI, or don't like climbing staircases large or small, DO eat at Le Scalette!

Delicacies made from the justly famous Cinta Sinese Tuscan pig 

Homemade cappellacci filled with perch in "sauce of the lake"

Best ever wild boar with truffles, balsamico, and glazed onions

Sublimely silken spinach

I am not usually a fan of the ubiquitous Italian crostata, but this one (pictured here, minus a few bites that I sneaked while my husband wasn't looking) of ricotta and wild cherries was a winner





Comments

  1. GREAT to have Donatella back!!!! I was able to subscribe and -- as you can see -- comment. Can not believe what J has been through (you, too!), and can't wait to hear the whole story when I get back in 2 weeks. A presto!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHO SAYS THAT LIFE IN THE COUNTRY IS BORING? WHAT’S THAT GIGANTIC CREATURE ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR?🙀

HOW IT ALL STARTED

A HOARDER? MOI?